Very Advanced HIV or AIDS?
Dec 17, 1999
I was just told that my Dad was tested ( Aug 99 ) and found to have very advanced HIV, his CD4 cell count was 40,and a very low fraction of 5%.His viral load was 96200.
He also has mild oral candidiasis,oral hairy leukoplakia and shotty nodes in right axilla.
I want to help my Dad and need to understand how sick he is, my GP told me he is gravely ill, is this true?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
He does indeed have advanced HIV disease, and by definition has AIDS (CD4 count<200 or 14%). I would not consider him gravely ill. With effective treatment for HIV infection, his CD4 count can improve dramatically and his viral load can become undetectable. This will make him feel better and get rid of some of the symptoms he has like thrush.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Penis After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Cough After Insertive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Red Spots After Sensual Massage Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Stinging Pain After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.