Total Lymphocyte Count Vs. CD4 Lymphocyte Count
Dec 17, 1999
Please tell me if this is correct: As HIV disease progresses the CD4 lymphocyte count decreases and the CD8 lymphocyte count increases. Because of this the total lymphocyte count (CD4 and CD8 lymphocytes together) may not decrease, but the CD4 count alone will decrease over time. Thank you!
Response from Dr. Holodniy
You are correct. Except in advanced AIDS, the CD8 cells begin to go down again, and as such the total lymphocyte count will go down as well. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Sore Throat A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Chills After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Coated Tongue After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Sex With Sex Worker Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Tingling In Feet After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Can Vaginal Prolapse Cause Low Back Pain?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.