HIV+, undetectable viral load, no meds

In July, 1999, a life insurance company tested me for HIV, and it came out positive on both an ELISA and Western Blot test. I do not think a confirmation test was done. My viral load was tested in July, 1999, at 634, and my CD4 was 525. My viral load was again tested in December, 1999, and it was undetectable (<400) and my CD4 is now 684. I have not taken any meds except for vitamin C, E, B6, and B12.

Are these results unusual? What do they mean? Is it possible that something else in my blood caused the positive readings (I did have a serious case of Hepatitis A about 6 months before I tested positive)?

First a western blot is a confirmatory test for HIV antibody screening tests. Hepatitis A will not cause a false positive HIV test. There can be fluctuations of both CD4 count and viral load. The fluctuations of CD4 count are usually larger when the absolute count is < 500. The number can be affected by the time of day, intercurrent illness, substance abuse, lab performing the test, among other causes. The percentage of CD4 cells is a more stable number over time. Your first viral load was right at the limit of detection. It is not uncommon for these low viral loads to dip below the threshold of detection. An ultrasensitive test with a lower limit of detection of <50 copies will determine whether your viral load is quantifiable between 50-500 copies.

MH

Tested Poz 12/14/99, DC4 and V Low
Total Lymphocyte Count Vs. CD4 Lymphocyte Count