over a million...... and a zero......

I became sick in april of 99, I became weaker and weaker and had no idea what was going on. I went to the hospital and had pcp and hiv+ (I had never been tested) My VL was over a million and my cd4 was zero. I started taking the cocktail and my VL is now undetectable but my cd4 is only 90. Is this normal for the VL to drop so quick and the cd4 go up so slow. Also, am I in danger of getting pcp again. Thanks for any help...

You have had a typical response, both in terms of viral load and CD4 count. It is a lot harder to go from 0 to 90, than to go from 300 to 400. You may continue to get some CD4 increase, although slowly. You are still at risk for PCP, and should continue to take prophylaxis. New data does suggest that people who have had PCP can discontinue prophylaxis if their CD4 count goes above 300.

MH

Viral Load Undetectable but Tcell going down
Viral load