Help! Scared Pregnant Women with an Equivical HIV Test.

I had an HIV test as required for my pregnancy. The test came back equivical or basically a dud. My. Doctor said that it was not negative and it was not positive either. After talking to specialists, he decided not to repeat the Western Blot, which in my understading is only used when a postitive ELISA test is done, but ordered a HIV viral load. This is my 4th pregnancy (my youngest being 1 year old). I was told that I declined an HIV test with him. As far as my other children go, I am not sure if I was tested with them or not.

The last possible time that I could have been exposed the this virus would have been in 1992 or before. I have had 2 c-sections and I am not sure if exposure is possible in that procedure.

I am scared to death and would really appreciate someone with knowledge to help me through this. (I have a week and a half until my results come back)

It is very important to know just what tests were performed and what the exact results were. I assume a screening antibody ELISA test was performed and based on those results a western blot was then performed. I can't comment on the interpretation without having the exact results. Sometimes the screening antibody test is falsely positive in pregnancy, which is usually resolved by a negative western blot. Thus, it would important to know what the first western blot showed.

Clarification on german measles
Doctor Needs Advise