Legit ARS Detection

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

For diagnosis of ARS, which would be the preferred method ...DNA or RNA PCR? I was thinking that if it only took a few infected cells (DNA) to create thousands of RNA, wouldn't the RNA PCR be more effective, or is my assumption wrong? If you have thousands of RNA would you have enough DNA infected cells to have them detectable up on a PCR DNA test to rule in or rule out ARS?

Thanks!

The preferred diagnostic test for HIV infection is an antibody test. In neonates, where HIV antibody testing cannot be used (because of maternal transfer of antibodies to the fetus), RNA testing appears somewhat more sensitive.

testing question
Is It too soon to tell??