Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

RNA PCR vs DNA PCR

Dr. Holodniy,

Although I realize neither the RNA PCR or DNA PCR test is approved for HIV diagnoses, I wanted to get your opinion on which test you feel is the preferred test before detection of antibodies. Furthermore, if one decided to take either one of the tests after 3 months (in addition to an ELISA), which test would you recommend? I have read in situations where a person has an undetectable viral load the DNA PCR would still be positive. Is this a fair asessment?

There is no data to determine which is better. I wouldn't recommend the tests after 3 months. A person who is HIV antibody positive, and HIV viral load negative, will indeed have a Positive DNA PCR.

Home Access/detect all strains?
accuray of rna and dna pcr