The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neutrophils and Lymphocytes differential

Jun 12, 2001

I was tested negative for HIV-1 and 2 15 weeks after a high risk encounter. I didn't really have ARS but I am showing all sorts of indications of viral infection and a failing immune system. I have a coated tongue, dry mouth and lips, and a burning sensation in my mouth all the time. My cuts and wounds are healing more slowly and my ears are more prone to infection. The list goes on and on but I will spare you the details. You may think that I am one of the worried well, I thought so too, but my CBC is telling me otherwise. My overall CBC is normal (WBC 6.2), except that my Neutrophils(2.62) and Lymphocytes(2.75) are both at 45. I just saw on the internet that "increased lymphocytes suggest viral infection (especially, infectious mononucleosis, pertussis), chronic infection, drug and allergic reactions, autoimmune disease." I guess that is a perfect explanation of my ailment. I am very sure that I have been infection with some kind of autoimmune disease but I am not sure if it is HIV. Please give me a hint of what my aliment is, none of my doctors had a hint and it is driving me off the edge.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You are mixing information. First there is a thousand medical reasons for why cell counts are abnormal. An autoimmune disease is just that, a disease that is usually triggered by your own immune system. A viral infection is something different.

Question about getting results

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint