Adult VL # vs Pediatric VL #

Hello, I am the Grandmother and Guardian of my two and a half year old Grandson who was diagnosed with HIV on April 16th. of this year. I have been reading many of the questions posted here by adults, regarding VL#'s. My grandson's VL, pre-medication, was 350,000. His Dr. said she had expected it to be much higher, and was pleased that it wasn't. He was put on Viramune, Ziagen, and Zerit, given twice a day. The first labs drawn after being on the meds for 24 days, his VL is now 300. I was told this is wonderful news, and I agree. I have noticed the many of the adults posting questions here have much lower VL #'s initially. Are adult and pediatric VL #'s as a rule, quite different? Thank you.

First, I applaud your care and concern for your grandson. You ask a great question. In general, childrens viral loads are higher than adults. This is thought to be due to an immature immune system, and thus an inability to contain viral replication as efficiently as adults. In general, treatment response mirrors that of adults. MH

Re : Viral Load Tests
hepatitis and hiv