Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

small town, Big prob.
May 22, 2000

I recently was tested for HIV and was found to be positive. My Viral Load was 180,000 and my CD4 was 101. I also just got over a bout of Thrush. I live in a small town and my Doctor's response to my numbers was for me to go and research treatments and come back with some options for us to discuss. Overall, I feel healthy with the exception of reoccurring sinus infections and the recent Thrush. I've been researching HIV information but find the more I know, the more I don't know. Shouldn't my Doctor be telling me what I should do, instead of the other way around? My HIV-positive friends tell me that I should start treatment NOW, not in a few weeks. What should I do?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your positive friends are correct. You need to start treatment soon. Given your CD4 count, you need PCP prophylaxis as well. There are several HIV treatment options for you. I would suggest that you confer with your friends and find out about some of the successful regimens that maximize treatment success, and minimize pill burden and toxicities. The best treatment for you will also depend on making sure there are no underlying medical problems that could affect the treatment response.

MH

Previous
Viral load going down without treatment?
Next
Semen testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.