Genotype test not conclusive

My doctor's nurse called me today and wanted me to get my genotype test done again. She told me that either my VL was too low or that there were too many strains of HIV in my blood and not one dominate enough one to get a conclusive test result. My VL has been increasing and last check was >75,000 copies (ultra-sensitive test) since switching from Combivir/Viracept to Combivir/Sustiva. My question is why would my test be inconclusive? Does it mean I have too many mutations in my blood for any meds to be effective? Thanks for your help.

Your viral load is sufficient for resistance detection. We like to see a viral load of >1,000 for testing. I am not sure what the nurse means by the statement. If you can get a copy of the test report and send me the mutations, I would be happy to interpret them for you.

MH

VL increase on Norvir, Fortovase, Epivir, Zerit
first cd4/cd8 tests have returned very bad