STRESS, MEDS AND INSOMNIA

Hey there doctor:

I had a VL of 110,640 and 226 CD4 cells.. Went on Viracept and Combivir and dropped to an undetectable VL in 7 weeks. I was so distraught over getting HIV and also taking meds that I heard were "poison" that all I did for 2 months after taking meds was throw up day after day, lose weight and worry about which way I will die and how I will become resistant to drugs. Turns out I went to a zero VL in 7 weeks yet my cd4 cells dropped from 226 down to 21.. Doc says that the stress is what will kill me here, not HIV. Now that I have tried to stop throwing up and keeping a positive attitude, I am now suffering from awful insomnia that keeps me up all night, every single night even on sleeping pills. Do you think the doc is right about me being "very healthy" although my T cells are so low? I have no OI's and seem to be normal. Should my immune system rebound after I stop figuring out which way I will die next and telling myself that I am taking poison?

Your reaction is a consistent and fairly common one in those people who find out they are positive and start meds. Sometimes the meds can cause side effects, but your symptoms are out of proportion to those normally seen with the drugs you are receiving. You should celebrate your great virologic results. I am wondering if your CD4 count of 226 really went down, in that the 21 is the percentage and not the absolute number?

MH

Free Viral RNA in bloodstream
needle prick infection