Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rural area, just found out cd, vl cts
Jun 7, 2000

Dear, Doc.

First of all I would like to commend you for your efforts and support your providing. It must be very time consumning but it's very appreicated. I'm a 35 yr old male, who's line of work is ministry. I found out a mos ago of my status thruough a standard blood donation, wow, quite shocking. I just recieved the counts, CD4-327 and VL-19475. I was infected last summer by a not fun situation, thats for my counsler. Coming from a rural community, there is very little in doctors available, and the ones that are, it's difficult for me to see. As I'm checking around one doc, suggests no meds at this time, see im completely healthy, no signs, other than some fatigue, which is normal for me. Another doctor suggests meds right away, not forsure on what to do when it comes to selecting a doctor in rural settings, do you have any recommendations on doctors in the minn/nd region, whats your input on meds with my counts. Also whats your input on holistic approach first. Like chinese herbs, product called 714-X, essiac tea etc. I realize there are no studies on these have you heard of any results? Thanks again, and may the Lord bless you mightly and reveal to you what you need when you need it

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I agree with doctor #2. Given those numbers, you are at moderately high risk for progression. I think most people in the treating community would agree that a CD4 count of 300 and a viral load of 20,000, warrants treatment. The good news is that you have many options, in terms of treatment regimens. I don't recommend specific docs, but depending on your geographic location, you may want to venture to the AIDS Clinical Trials unit at the U of M in Minneapolis. Herbs are OK. But, they have not been shown to have potent antiviral effects against HIV, and some may interact with HIV medications causing liver and other problems. MH

Previous
First elevation in viral load
Next
Quantitative Vs Ultra

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.