Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Asymptomatic 9 years and still no detectable viral load
Jun 12, 2000

For 5 years I had tested positive for only one of the proteins in Western Blot test before finally being told I was HIV positive, which was 9 years ago. Since then my T-cells have remained in the 700 - 800 range. Last year an attempt to enter a clinical study revealed that I had no detectable viral load. I would like to do more than just wait for problems to arise and am interested in participating in any clinical studies for people in similar situations. Can you direct me to any such program/study? Can you suggest any further course of action for monitoring my situation?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You would be considered a long term nonprogressor. With an undetectable viral load and stable, high CD4 count, HIV specific medications would not be indicated for you at this time. Although there are some studies that are looking at the immune system in folks like you, these are not interventional studies. I suggest you continue to do what you are doing now, with periodic CD4 and viral load counts. MH

Previous
Question about viral load and CD 4 count
Next
hey doc just curious what your title means?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.