Arthritis like symptoms in joints -- HIV related?

My 62 year old mother discovered that she had the HIV virus in 1989, when my father died due to the disease. She has been taking medications/cocktail for 10+ years and has now started to have severe pain in her hips. She can not walk 50 feet without having pain. She describes the feeling "as if there is no lubrication in her hips and there is bone rubbing on bone". Is this due to the prolonged use of the medications or is this a sign of the virus progressing? Her T-cell count is below 200 and seems to have the virus under control. How many years can she go on taking the medications before her body starts to become affected?

It's hard to determine from what you describe, just exactly what is going on. I suggest she been seen by her doctor for an evalation. HIV meds or the virus are unlikely to be causing these symptoms. There are lots of other "nonHIV" causes for the complaints you describe.

MH

P24 Antigen test
New: HIV infected