The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

infectious disease vs. hiv specialist ??

Jul 3, 2000

whats the difference ?? are they basically the same thing ?? If they are different, what diseases do id's check for ??

Response from Dr. Holodniy

This is a hotly debated issue. Here goes. ID docs are usually board certified in internal medicine and in the sub-specialty of infectious diseases. They see a variety of infectious diseases like diabetic infections, surgical infections, malaria, TB, etc, which may not be HIV related. Not all infectious disease doctors see and take care of HIV patients. HIV specialists can be from a number of specialties depending on how they got into taking care of HIV patients. Many nationally known HIV specialists are general internists, oncologists or family practitioners.


just diagnosed
genotyping vs. phenotyping

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint