Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resistance testing 4 wks after starting meds
Jul 3, 2000

I live in San Francisco. I experienced the ARS in late 2/2000, first tested HIV+ on 5/1/00, and started 3TC, D4T, and Sustiva 5/5/00. My initial viral load was 120,000. I did some reading and at my next appointment asked my doctor to elect to do resistance testing (as I am newly infected). That was 4 weeks later, and at that time my viral load was 1,200.

I now understand that resistance testing should be done in my circumstance in a drug-naive patient. Will the results of the resistance testing be useful considering that I was taking meds for a month?

Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although drug resistant virus exists in SF, the majority exists in people who have received treatment and not in those who are acutely infected. Usually we like to get the resistance test before treatment starts in people acutely infected. In those that are recently infected, the longer one waits before treatment, the harder it is to find any resistant virus, because a lot of resistant strains retreat to the background below detection limits of resistance assays in the absence of drug pressure. A resistance test might be indicated in your case if we didn't think you were responding appropriately to the regimen. For instance your viral load only went to 20-50,000 after one month of treatment. In your case, your response looks like someone with NONresistant virus. I am not sure you will find anything now.

MH

Previous
Will I die young?
Next
Worried about Resistance if infected a long time, but never treated

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.