Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Visual Changes in Recently Infected

During my initial screening with an experienced HIV doc, along with a physical exam, I was asked the following questions: Night sweats? Achy muscles/stiff neck? Genital ulcer(s)? Rashes? Visual Changes i.e.floaters? etc. My question is about floaters. I've read that web-shaped floaters are one of the many systemic changes that occur during ARS or shortly thereafter. Have you also noticed or heard of this correlation? Further, can you hypothesize what may cause the changes in the vitreous fluid? Thanks for your time and expertise!

Floaters are nonspecific, and certainly occur in eye diseases unrelated to HIV infection. Other infections, inflammatory diseases, and tumors, will cause the formation of cellular debris and production of various chemicals and byproducts of the underlying disease, which are released into the vitreous and cause the sensation.

MH

PCR test showing slight reactivity
Cytomegalovirus