|PCR test showing slight reactivity
Jul 25, 2000
I have recently tested positive for HIV. The first test approx 4 wks post exposure was pos, second (western blot) was neg. PCR test was done approx 6 wks. post exposure and it showed one band of reactivity. no cd 4 was done and viral load of 13. Immunologists says that it is still a possibility for a false positive. Is this true?? If so would you please explain.
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
There have been a few cases reported in the medical literature which demonstrate false positive viral loads in people who were subsequently found to not be HIV infected. The viral load levels are usually very low (< 500), and antibody tests have been negative. A follow-up antibody test is indicated in such a case.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Black Spots After Giving Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Black Spots After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Blood In Semen After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Urethra After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Fatigue After Anal Sex Top Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Flu Symptoms After Insertive Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.