Viral Load Decrease question
May 31, 2001
Dear Dr. Holodniy
I hope you can answer my question. I have a friend that was tested positive about the begining of the year. His first VL was bout 5000 and CD4 count a bit above 700. The most recent results show a small drop in the CD4 count but the VL count also drop to bout 1300. This is a huge drop in the VL. Is this normal? He is taking no drugs at this point.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Although this seems like a big drop, it is only about 3 fold or 3 times lower. This is on the outer edge of variability of the assays, which combines assay and biologic variability.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Thrush After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts From Warts On Your Hands?
- Can You Get Hepatitis From A Kiss?
- Dangers Of Vaginal Infections
- How Long Do You Have To Wait To Have Sex After Using Premarin Vaginal Cream?
- What If You Have Pimples On Your Lips Is That A Sign Of A Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.