Viral Load Decrease question

Dear Dr. Holodniy

I hope you can answer my question. I have a friend that was tested positive about the begining of the year. His first VL was bout 5000 and CD4 count a bit above 700. The most recent results show a small drop in the CD4 count but the VL count also drop to bout 1300. This is a huge drop in the VL. Is this normal? He is taking no drugs at this point.

Although this seems like a big drop, it is only about 3 fold or 3 times lower. This is on the outer edge of variability of the assays, which combines assay and biologic variability.

Viral Load Tests
Valued opinion needed