Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral load question

Jun 17, 2018

Hey Doc! I have a question about viral loads. I understand that during the first months the viral loads are at its highest, but how high can the viral load go up to? I know that it can be several million, but i'm lookin for a more specifik answer, in the worst case scenario how high can it get?

I read that the viral load in the anal can be 500 times higher than in blood, does that mean that if your viral load in the blood is 1 million that it will be 500 million in the rectal fluids?

Sorry for my bad english doc!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I don't think there are specific answers to your questions. Every person has a unique viral load threshold and set point. Not all acute infections are reported or chronicled in the literature, so it is not clear what the highest might be. With respect to other body compartments, very few people have ever been sampled, and even fewer during acute infection. Again, underlying genetics and immune system control help dictate how much virus may be present in the rectum or other bodily fluids, as there is a significant range like there is in blood plasma.

Previous
Platelets problem
Next
My wife's HBV DNA quantitative real time pcr result is 24 IU /ml , what should I do sir ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.