Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Titer of 1:1

Hi, I got primary syphilis when i was 24 years old and got a corresponding treatment with penicillin injections. After the treatment I was told to have my vdrl test and the doctor told me I am cured. Presently, i am already 58 years old and out of curiosity I went for another vdrl test and got a titer of reactive 1:1, after 34 years of my my treatment. Is it ok at that range or does it mean my treatment before failed?

A VDRL can remain positive for years after successful treatment, as is the case here. There is no reason to repeat this test unless re-exposure is a concern.

10 Words or Less
Information for a friend