Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4, Viral load, Oral Thrush

Oct 29, 2017

Hi Dr, during serocoversion does CD4 count plummet drastically due to HIV infection? During my serocoversion I tested and my CD4 count was 272 I suspect after only a month after infection? At worst case, I could have been infected four months earlier before diagnosis. Is it normal for T-cells to drop to such levels after 1 month or 4 months after infection? I also had oral thrush (individual patches back of throat), is this AIDS defining or HIV considering my cells were 272 upon infection? Lastly, started treatment shortly after (tribuss/trivenz) and managed to reach UD successfully and T-cells rose to 995 but dropped during second bi-annual screening to 650+ and viral load went to 80 copies. I never stopped treatment but did miss approximately 6 days (not consecutively) since treatment. I am adherent but due to current unemployment I have not done any screening but still takes meds every day (trivenz). I am 25+ and have been positive for 3 years now... Please answer... I am also finding it difficult to put on weight except on my stomach and have slimmer legs now (is it the meds?)...

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, CD4 counts can decrease to that level during acute infection. Thrush would be an indication of altered immune status, but it does not necessarily indicate AIDS, and your CD4 count was not < 200, which would represent an AIDS diagnosis. It is always difficult to determine when infection may have occurred. Although you don't indicate why your previous and current weight is, it is unlikely that the HIV meds are the cause. You don't indicate what your current CD4 count and HIV viral load results are. Is your viral load now undetectable again?

Previous
Confused with Hep B results.
Next
CD8 count is always higher than CD4 and CD4/8 ratio less than 1

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.