Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr refuses to treat herpes HELP!

Sep 30, 2017

Since my diagnosis in 2009 I have had genital herpes issues. I have been on famvir 500mg as maintenance for 7 years. Doctor recently refused to order refills, she said she thinks the medication is old and too strong. I came in presenting 3 locations of herpes, which are small blisters in clusters on bottom, scrotum and shaft. Dr said they arent herpes. But I only have outbreak when not on famvir. What do I do? Is it really not herpes? I refuse you live with constant outbreaks!!!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what your CD4 count and HIV viral load level are, or whether you are on HIV treatment. I am not sure what your doctor means by famvir being old or too strong. A diagnosis of herpes by culture or molecular testing would be helpful in confirming that these blisters are indeed caused by a herpes virus. It would be hard for me to determine without an examination. Your description is consistent with herpes, but needs confirmation. Depending on CD4 count and documented recurrence off antivirals that have activity against herpes, chronic antivirals certainly could be indicated.

Previous
HCV SVR
Next
Hbs ag positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.