Took truvada after sex for two days then took PEP 3 half days later

I had unprotected sex with a man( I inserted ). The next morning I told my friend which gave my 2 of his truvada pills. I took one 6 hours later at 12 noon. Then I took one at 12 noon the next day. I assumed PEP was truvada alone and then tried to get a prescription. It took longer than I thought. The hospital did not give me PEP. And I had to go to a clinic. I ended up getting PEP but 3 and half day later. So in short I took 1 truvada pill 12 hours after exposure, then another pill 36 hours after exposure, then took PEP about 88 hours after exposure. The guy promised me he was negative but told me he was not on truvada and just got caught up in the moment. He was the one who took condom off. I did not notice for a minute or so. What do you think.

Response from Mr. Jacobs

It sounds like you have been very proactive in trying to prevent HIV acquisition in this specific set of circumstances. To be clear, PEP regimens vary geographically, and in some areas Truvada is the only drug used for PEP. In other areas, it is a mix of Truvada and another drug, usually called Isentress. The timeline for starting PEP also varies by region, but it is generally recommended you begin within 72 hours of the potential exposure.

The event you describe is considered fairly low risk. Acquiring HIV from just one encounter is unlikely. Being the insertive (top) partner also significantly lowers risk, especially if you are circumcised. And again, as you pointed out, your partner says he is HIV negative. If he is in fact aware of his HIV status, and is HIV negative, then you cannot acquire HIV from someone who does not have HIV.

I do get the sense that there is some discomfort about the fact that a condom was not used. It's perfectly understandable to feel dissonance about this. You said he was the one who took it off, and yet it reads like the sex continued even after you noticed. There is absolutely nothing wrong or shameful about enjoying this type of intimacy and pleasure with a sexual partner.

But given that you've had this experience, perhaps you may consider if Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is ideal for you. PrEP is a daily medicine that reduces risk of acquiring HIV by about 99%. It is not something you have to take your entire life, but may choose to utilize during a "season of risk" where you may be having sexual experiences without condoms. Any doctor can prescribe PrEP, and there is a lot of financial support paying for it.

To learn more about PrEP, please check out this page here at TheBody.com.

You can also join the interactive FaceBook PrEP Facts group 24/7.

Getting Pregnant With Partner Off Meds?
hepatitis b viral load