Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low CD4
Jul 12, 2014

Hello Mr Holodniy and thanks for the responce on july the 5th. As i wrote you i have been always undetectable all the years i take my medication. Even now with my CD4 of 170 the viral load is undetectable. My WBC is around 6000. Even my doctor can not explain me the reason of low CD4. All my other tests chemistry FBC are ok. And also i started medication 9 years ago with a CD4 approximately 450 and not very high viral load that time. I remember that very soon i was undetectable that time and the Cd4 came up to 850. But from that time the CD4 is coming down, the last 5 years is approximately 300 270 215 but the most recent test my cd4 170.please advise me what can i do? I do not know my persentage of CD4. Thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Given that additional information, you are likely in a small group of patients who continue to lose CD4 cells despite an undetectable viral load. We usually look for other causes (meds, other medical conditions) which might be the cause of this. In most cases there is no explanation. Changing HIV medications sometimes helps, but in most cases, the CD4 count remains low.

Previous
Has my response to meds been good?
Next
CD4 dropping but percentage steady

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.