Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 Count 3 months after infection.
Jun 22, 2014

Hello from Argentina.

Firstly, i would like to thank you for giving us this possibility. This is an important source of information for people like me, who had little information when they were diagnosed.

On march 15th, some days after turning 19, i got infected after the only risky sexual relation i had after my last hiv test. Exactly 2 weeks later i had the acute infection symptoms which affected me for 2 weeks with high temperature (the first days 41 degrees celsius) and thrombocytopenia. I was diagnosed dengue, but had 10 blood extractions during the first week and dozens of serologies done. On April 15th i was told i was HIV+ after a positive ELISA and an undetermined WB.

My infectious disease doctor, requested me a CD4, viral load and resistance test which i couldn't do until June 14th (exactly 3 months after the infection). My CD4 count was 340 and a 15% and viral load was 287000. The resistance test will be available on July 30.

I also had positive CMV IgG: >500.0 U/ml, Toxoplasma gondii IgG: 1/256 and HAV IgG.

Other things under or above the reference value are HDL Cholesterol: 33 mg/dl, LDL Cholesterol: 128 mg/dl, Total Proteins: 8.33 g/dl, Alfa2 Globulin 0.96 g/dl, Gammaglobulin: 1.83 g/dl, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate: 14 mm, segmented neutrophils: 51% and lymphocytes: 36%.

I would like to know: 1. Any recommendation you would give to someone with this results. 2. How much can my CD4 count increase until it stabilizes. 3. If you would start the treatment as soon as possible, start it after getting the results of the resistance test or wait until my CD4 count is stable.

I really appreciate your support.

Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I think starting treatment would be advisable, given the viral load result and CD4 count and percent, but I would wait until the resistance test results are back. It is unlikely that your CD4 count and percent will rise to the normal range, given that viral load result this far out from acute infection.

Previous
Am I a Long Term Non-Progressor?
Next
Hbv dna negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.