Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Consistant low level viremia
Jun 1, 2014

Hi, I was diagnosed in November 2012 with a CD4 293 and VL 83000. Immediately started Atripla and quickly went undetectable and remained there for several months before it started creaping up slowly. Finally at around 700, medication was switched to Dolutegravir and Truvada. This combination also seems to not be working as my VL is fluctuating between 400 - 1000. I have been on this new combo for 3 months. However my CD4 has continued to increase, now around 900.

My Dr seems puzzled, as numerous resistance tests show no mutations. I am very physically fit, going to the gym every day lifting weights, I do not drink, do not smoke, , no drug use, and I have taken my medication as prescribed never missing a dose. She is also surprise that I have not developed mutations after having a detectable VL for nearly a year now.

After consulting with her colleagues, my Dr thinks that maybe I have a hidden reservoir that is still pumping out the virus that meds cannot get to. She offered two options, adding Prezista, or trying twice daily Dolutegravir. I chose twice daily Dolutegravir since I am currently on it and tolerate it well. If after a month, it hasn't brought me undetectable, then I reluctantly will add Prezista.

My main concern is that I initially had a great attitude about my future and having HIV, knowing that I could live a normal healthy life. But now it seems that I may not be able to control the virus for whatever reason. I am really concerned what this can mean for long term survival.

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not you have seen this, meaning someone not having mutations, but also not being able to suppress the virus completely. Also, insight on how to get it to undetectable, instead of having a consistent low level viremia.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It was good you got the resistance tests done. I assume that included a resistance for dolutegravir. Some resistance tests do not include the integrase gene. I agree with adding the Prezista as the next step. From what you describe, the resistance test did not show any resistance to protease inhibitors, so Prezista (darunavir) should be a maximal potency.

Previous
lower CD4 Cell count after 6 months
Next
Hiv+ and Shea

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.