The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Life expectancy for a person who got AIDS

Apr 13, 2014

Dear Mark,

I was diagnosed in 2012 with AIDS and a CD4 of 7. Immediately I was started with HAART (Truvada/Isentress) and since then my CD4 has gone up now at 226. I also had KS and had gone through 15 cycles of Caelyx chemo. Its not gone totally but stabilise and I decided to stop. After stopping, my CD4 rose extremely fast from 76 to 130 in 3 months and now 226.

My HIV specialist said its fine not to continue chemo as the body will heal with the growing CD4. The amazing part is from Aug 2012 to Aug 2013, my CD4 only went up from 7 to 76. But from Aug 2013 till Feb 2014, my CD4 rose the most from 76 to 226.

I felt much better and doing things and back to normal life. I am just worried how long can I live since I had AIDS before. My doctor said I can look forward to normal life expectancy if I take good care of myself, get away from drugs and eat healthily. What do you think ??

Response from Dr. Holodniy

sounds like you have had a great response and are on the road to recovery. It is always difficult to predict life expectancy, as that is dependent on many factors including age, gender, underlying medical conditions and genetics, extent of immune system damage and recovery, among other factors. In general, your doctor is correct, as people are living much long than ever imagined as long as HIV remains under control.

both CD4 and Viral load going down

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint