Life expectancy for a person who got AIDS

Dear Mark,

I was diagnosed in 2012 with AIDS and a CD4 of 7. Immediately I was started with HAART (Truvada/Isentress) and since then my CD4 has gone up now at 226. I also had KS and had gone through 15 cycles of Caelyx chemo. Its not gone totally but stabilise and I decided to stop. After stopping, my CD4 rose extremely fast from 76 to 130 in 3 months and now 226.

My HIV specialist said its fine not to continue chemo as the body will heal with the growing CD4. The amazing part is from Aug 2012 to Aug 2013, my CD4 only went up from 7 to 76. But from Aug 2013 till Feb 2014, my CD4 rose the most from 76 to 226.

I felt much better and doing things and back to normal life. I am just worried how long can I live since I had AIDS before. My doctor said I can look forward to normal life expectancy if I take good care of myself, get away from drugs and eat healthily. What do you think ??

sounds like you have had a great response and are on the road to recovery. It is always difficult to predict life expectancy, as that is dependent on many factors including age, gender, underlying medical conditions and genetics, extent of immune system damage and recovery, among other factors. In general, your doctor is correct, as people are living much long than ever imagined as long as HIV remains under control.

both CD4 and Viral load going down
cd4