Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 keeps dropping while my VL is undetectable
Apr 6, 2014

I was diagnosed with HIV in February 2013. My initial CD4 count at that time was 313. I started daily Stribild in April of 2013. I have noticed that initially my CD4 kept increasing up to the upper 700's over 9 months. My VL became undetectable in 8 weeks. Although my VL has maintained as undetectable, my CD4 count has been falling with each lab visit, dropping by close to 100 points each time. My CD4 has now dropped to 376. I am concerned that my treatment is not working effectively any longer. I don't understand why my CD4 is dropping each time. Any insight you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

In order to better understand this trend, a few other numbers are needed. First, what have the total white blood cell count (WBC), total lymphocyte count, and CD4% trends been doing? If the WBC or total lymphocyte counts have decreased, but the CD4% has stayed the same (which is a more stable number over time), then something else is going on. In general, it would be unusual to see such a decline without an underlying reason. Your HIV treatment is still working given the undetectable viral load.

Previous
WBC decrease
Next
Wild-type HIV vs. cancer cells

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.