Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I need to continue medication?
Mar 23, 2014

I had a negative HIV test in November 2013 and a positive test a month later in late December 2013. The second week of December I had acute retroviral infection (flu-like symptoms), in other words, I seroconverted.

My first labs done on 1/9/14 indicated CD4 of 557, CD4% was 25.3%, VL=9840. I was referred to an infectious disease doctor who did another set of labs as well as resistance testing two weeks later on 1/22/14 and my VL was 1060, CD4 of 583 and CD4% was 28%. He started me on Kaletra and Truvada on 1/22 and when the results came, almost 2 weeks later, he switched me to Complera which I have been taking ever since.

During my appointment on 1/22 the doctor said that I am likely a long term non-progress or elite controller because my VL was only 9480 and dropped to 1060 in 2 weeks prior to starting medication.

My last test on 2/26/14 shows my VL=30, and CD4 of 614, CD4%32.3 and my doctor said that 30 is not undetectable because the test that the lab used detects a VL of 20 or more. He recommended I keep taking Complera for at least a year before stopping the medication to see how my body would respond on its own. He said that if there was a potential cure that I would be a candidate because the reservoir of infection in my system is low (not sure what he meant by this, but ok).

My concern is that it seems like my body was well on its way to controlling the infection prior to starting meds and my VL would have more than likely continued to drop to where it is at now (VL=30) without any medication; although now we can't be 100% certain since I did start medication a month ago. Do you think I should continue on the medication or stop now and see how my body controls the infection on its own or, as my doctor recommended, continue for a year then stop and see how I respond? What are the pros and cons of finding out now or in a year? My resistance testing shows that I was not resistant to any HIV meds and I have not had any side effects thus far.

My other labs from 2/26/14 are as follows:

Absolute CD8 Suppressor = 952/uL (out of range). Expected range 109-897 uL %CD 8 Pos. Lymph. = 50.1 (out of range). Expected range 12.0-35.5 %CD 3 Pos. Lymph.= 82%. Expected range 57.5-86.2% WBC = 4.3. Expected range 3.4-10.8 RBC = 4.91. Expected range 4.14-5.80 AST = 43 ALT = 89 CD4/CD8 Ratio =0.64 (out of range). Expected range 0.92-3.72

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although much of what your doctor said has some plausibility, my recommendation would be to continue taking HIV medications to preserve immune function.

Previous
Simultaneously diagnosed with hiv and type-2 diabetes
Next
After 4 years without ARV's CD4 recovery

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.