Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV antibodies
Mar 16, 2014

Hello Doctor

My friends and I were discussing the possible day when there is a complete, therapeutic cure for HIV, and how great it would be to test negative for HIV. It got me thinking. A test for HIV is a test for the immune system's HIV antibodies. Even if the body is completely cured of HIV, wouldn't a test for HIV still come back back positive for the HIV antibodies? In other words, once your immune system creates those antibodies, they are will always be there. Theoretical question, and you probably have far more important questions to answer, but i was just curious.

Kind regards

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is an interesting question which is not answerable at this point. People infected with HIV and in whom HIV was eliminated would have developed an adaptive immune response to HIV during their infection lifetime. Adaptive immunity is acquired after exposure to some pathogen and would include antibody and cellular immune responses. Many of these cells are long-lived and are recruited if the person acquires the infection again. In the case of HIV, the person has it life-long and so these cells are in a constant state of readiness. Whether they all would disappear if HIV were gone, or just fade to the background, including those cells making HIV antibodies, is not known at this time.

Previous
"Baby Boomer" father diagnosed with hepatitis c
Next
Dischordance... Blip or What?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.