Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Waited too long?
Mar 16, 2014

Hi. I am not in US and I was diagnosed with HIV+ on 24 Jan and my first appointment for HIV consultation with blood test on 24 Feb. I had my CD4 count result back at 210 on 10 March but the viral load result is not ready. He think I should start medication immediately. During my blood test, I had a flu and I discussed with my doctor that it is possible that CD4 count to be low during the blood test. I had blood test with CD4/CD8 and viral load on 10 March and will review the result again on 28 April then discussed and start medication. Usually it takes 3 weeks for viral load and 1 week for CD4/CD8 test here.

I do not know when was I infected (most probably 2-4 years ago). I have no serious infection for the past 4 years (except for some common flu) and I am feeling healthy at the moment. I would like to do some personal and important work matter before starting my medication. I asked the doctor about the date (as I think it might be too long) and he is comfortable with me to return on 28 April for my result and have further discussion about medication. Based on the lab result he obtained so far, 2 regimens suggested: Atripla or Efavirenz + Kivexa. After discussing with someone who cares a lot, he thinks I should start medication soon based on the CD4 result I received. I know it is wise to start medication early but am I waiting too long to start medication? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Given that CD4 count, and regardless of whether you had the flu, I agree with your doctor that you should start HIV medications. Although it would be preferable to start now (and either recommended regimen would be satisfactory), you likely could wait until April to start.

Previous
CD4 Not increasing
Next
Heartburn

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.