Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Obi Wan Holodniy
Feb 16, 2014

Hi Dr. Mark,

I asked Dr. Keith this question as well, and was happy he agreed that, in SOME patients, having a pet can lower stress levels and lower the probability of having depressive side effects from Atripla. I am positive this is the case with me, because almost as soon as I started babysitting my brother's dog, I noticed my depressive symptoms nearly vanished and now I feel like I'm more social with people and just generally happier.

Now my question is this: I'm really close to being undetectable (having vl 100, and cd4 520), could lowering my stress levels and depression help make me undetectable? My initial labs were: VL 250, CD4: 342 (started Atripla) next labs: VL: 242, CD4: 395, 3rd labs (started watching my brother's dog 2 weeks before) VL: 120, CD4: 460, most recent labs: VL: 100, CD4: 526. I was excited to finally see that my VL finally dropped below 200! Is it just luck that the vl dropped, or could it actually be because of the reduction in stress levels?

Thank you!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although the stress theory is plausible, we just don't have good studies that can measure specific markers related to stress (other than blood cortisol levels) to determine reduction in stress can lead to reduction in HIV viral load.

Previous
hiv meds reistance
Next
HIV Positive, Anal Pap Test Showed LSIL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.