very high CD4?

Dr. Mark -

The service you provide is deeply appreciated.

I was diagnosed HIV positive this past May. My numbers were very "good" with my VL only 400 and my CD4 at 900. I immediately went on Atripla and have been UD ever since, with my CD4s going between 850--1050.

A few weeks ago, I became incredibly, incredibly ill. I was hospitalized and literally tested for everything. I had a constant fever, diarrhea, was severely dehydrated, severe headache. I was in the hospital for 5 days and they literally tested me for everything they could think of, including very obscure things, CT scans, etc. They found nothing.

Eventually as I returned home everything subsided. I have been basically good, just weak and regaining strength. The bottom line they said is that I probably had some kind of obscure intestinal virus, gastroenteritis, etc.

MY QUESTION - when I called today to schedule a follow up appointment and ask a few questions, I asked the nurse about the CD4 labs they had run in the middle of the illness. She said that my CD4 count was 1850. For some reason, they did not run a VL when they ran the CD4.

Isn't that number extremely high? I thought when you were fighting an infection your CD4 numbers went down? What, if anything, good or bad, can I take from this result? It is confusing to me.

Again - many thanks for your help.

You are correct. Usually with other ongoing infections that count will drop. Given your recovery, it is likely your CD4 count will get back to normal.

bareback sex froma straight male
what's the Number?