Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CMV and platelet counts
Jan 19, 2014

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. In May I was diagnosed with PCP and diagnosed with HIV, although it is almost certain I have been positive since 96 or 97. When I was admitted my VL was 114,000 and CD4 less than 10. I started on Atripla and my last test results last week were VL UD, CD4 - 41 (not great but going up). However at the same time my platelet count was down from 300 (probably not reporting all the 0s) in May, to 100 this last week and the CMV came back reactive. I will have the platelet count redone when I get back home - am working out of town currently, so I have to wait to retest and cannot readily contact the doc. But wondered if there was a relationship between a positive or reactive CMV test and a drop in platelets? And if a drop in platelets in common after the virus in UD? My 2 intermediary platelet counts were about 250. Thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what CMV test was performed, or whether any other blood cells counts were abnormal or low. Yes, active CMV infection could affect platelet count, as well as other white blood cells counts. Atripla would be unlikely to do this, and in general, this is unlikely after the HIV viral load is undetectable, unless something else is going on.

Previous
How might diabetic coma affect labs?
Next
bareback sex froma straight male

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.