Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCV13 affecting CD4?
Dec 22, 2013

Hello, I recently had my 3- month labs and I was very surprised to find my absolute and percentage in my CD4 subset had dropped. I am surprised because I have been eating right, exercising, getting plenty of rest, and even fervently following a holistic treatment approach as well with SAM-E, elderberry extract, acai, pomegranate, and lots and lots of organic vegetables with very few but always all natural meats. I have been on Stribild since August. I began at 50 total t cells/400,000 VL in August, jumped to 137/75 respectively in October, and now in December have dropped what I consider significantly to 97 total t cells (but still dropping VL to 50). My question is this: I got the PCV13 right away during my office visit. They then drew for labs 45 minutes later. I do believe that I have read that vaccines can affect CD4 counts. Could the vaccine have affected it that quickly? I appreciate your time. If you believe the vaccine could have caused this odd drop I will be able to relax a little until my next labs... 10/13/13 results: % CD4 12L, ABSOLUTE CD4 137, %CD8 62H, ABSOLUTE CD8 713, HELPER/SUPPRESSOR RATIO .19L, AB LYMPH 1148 12/18/13 results: Absolute CD 4 Helper 97 % CD 4 Pos. Lymph. 10.8 Abs. CD 8 Suppressor 604 % CD 8 Pos. Lymph. 67.1 CD4/CD8 Ratio .16

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Receiving a vaccine on the same day as getting your CD4 count is unlikely to affect the CD4 count that quickly. I understand your concern, but once the HIV viral load becomes undetectable you will have a better upward trajectory in your CD4 count and percent.

Previous
Concern about my cd4 dropping
Next
Hepatitis B Virus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.