Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 count decrease rapidly.
Dec 8, 2013

Hi Doctor, My diagnosis came recently that i am Positive. At very First cd4 test it was 451 (In India they don't do VL test by default). Since my first test, i had tooth infection due to extraction which stayed for almost 1 month followed by Flu vaccination and Cold, Fever and Cough. Though i completely recovered now and feel all healthy and good. My CD4 count came down to 388. My health adviser asked me to visit after 1 month to repeat the test and confirm the possibilities of HAART. In india we start treatment when CD4 count falls down to 350.

I changed my Consultant due to lack of my confidence in the earlier one and this new consultant seems to be knowledgable and advices inline with all the resource we have available. I went for CD4 test again in new LAB and my CD4 count drops down to 328 and my CD8 is 1150. i dont understand the ratio that well and have my appointment next week with her to rule out possibilties.

I wanted to check with you, with the series of illness i went into recently and changing my Lab is it BUT OBVIOUS that such variation is possible and that i may increase in my CD4 count without Med, keeping into mind that my infection is new.

I have a strong Diet plan and Gym regularly, I smoke (cutting down ) and drink moderate.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is conceivable that the various other infections contributed to the CD4 decline. Not knowing how high the HIV viral load is, a high viral load could also be contributing to a faster CD4 decline. Your CD8 count is elevated as a result of HIV infection. Thus, the CD4/CD8 ratio (normally 1-2) in people without HIV decreases in people with HIV infection as a result of a decline in CD4 and an increase in CD8 counts. I think you need to start HIV treatment.

Previous
First bloodwork result
Next
Opportunistic Infection vs AIDS diagnoses

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.