Can CD4% increase further after 1 year HAART treatment

Hi Mark,

Hope you are healthy and well

I am an AIDS patient started HAART with a CD4 of 7 in August last year. My CD4 has been increasing over the past 12 months from 7 to 84 in July, and my latest CD4 result came at 159. This was a shock to me as Cd4 increased from 84 to 159 in 3 months. My doc told me the reason could be that because I have stopped my chemo for KS in August and that could result in a massive recovery of WBC.

Nevertheless, my CD4% has been going down from 10.6% in April to 10.2% in July and now 9.7% in October, in contrast to the rising absolute CD4.

My worries are could my CD4 grow further and could my CD4% increase somemore over time ?? How long does it take for CD4 to plateau as for my case.

I hope my CD4 will cross 200 sometime soon. My viral load has been undetectable since December 2012. And should I be worried over the declining CD4% ?

Hope to hear from u soon

I think a one percent difference in CD4% is not significant. Because your CD4 count was so low before you started HIV treatment, it will take a longer time to recover. Your doctor is also correct about your white blood cell recovery after chemotherapy, and this could be affecting and blunting your results. The longer you maintain an undetectable viral load the more likely you will pass that 200 CD4 count threshold.

Labs, and genetics, and aging, oh my!
Going on 7 years in April being diagnosed with HIV (was infected in late 2006)