Why HIV?

Hi Dr. Holodniy,

I've lost count of how many questions you've answered, but damn, you could write a book purely based off of these questions! Seriously, you have made monitoring and understanding labs a hell of a lot less stressful and in turn put to rest most of the anxiety I've had about aging with HIV. Picture Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds": before I found this site, I felt like Tippi Hedren, and the original shock of an HIV diagnosis, initial viral load levels (2,000,000!), CD4 value, and CD4% felt like the birds swarming over me. Not the case anymore! :D

And I can't help but wonder: why were/are or what makes/made you interested in HIV specifically? Were there any questions that you originally had about HIV that you were eventually able to answer through your own research experiences? Which part of the labs analysis do you find most fascinating?

No need to post this, I was just curious is all.

Thanks!

I love the analogy and that movie! I started my medical career when we saw patients with HIV infection, but at the time did not know what it was. One of my original research interests and projects was in developing blood tests that could monitor the infection and treatment response. Twenty-five years later, I still work in this area, but use much more sophisticated test platforms to measure other viruses during infections and also measure the immune response to those infections.

My Achy Breaky HAART
My test