Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rpr 1:2 when should I retest
Oct 5, 2013

I had contracted syphilis and successfully treated it 13 years ago.

A year and a half ago I got tested and rpr was non reactive. A few months ago I engaged in unprotected oral sex one time and have been scared ever since. It's been around three months since I made the mistake and I got tested this week.

My rpr was reactive this time 1:2.

I asked this question a few days ago and was told it is probably reactive because of my previously treated infection. I have also read that the rpr's can fluctuate.

My questions are:

1 If I did get reinfected 3-4 months ago should my rpr be higher?

2 if I get retested again a week later is it possible it will be nonreactive again if I am not infected?

3 Does the test itself vary slightly or is it my body that changes the results?

4 how long should I wait to get tested again to be sure I am not reinfected?

5 if i retest and rpr is lower or non-reactive will that prove I am not reinfected?

I know I can get treated just in case but I would really like to know if I am reinfected.

I am worried sick that I caught it again and would feel so much better if I had a definitive answer.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

it is unlikely that this represents new infection and likely variability of the test, as in many people after successful treatment the RPR can remain positive for months to years, even with titers > 1:2. If there has been no significant recent exposure a repeat is likely unnecessary. However, if this were new infection another test in 3 months should demonstrate a 4-fold increase in titer.

Previous
CD4
Next
cd4% 18 cd4 count 670

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.