The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I know at what rate is HI virus reproducing in my body?

Sep 29, 2013

Is it possible to tell or estimate at what rate is the virus reproducing itself in my body? Can ARVs stop the virus reproduction completely? What does it mean when the dr say it will take on average 70years for the medication to completely eliminate HIV in a human body, while it is said the viral load may become undetectable within 6months from a value above the value of 10log?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The virus exists in two forms, free viral particles and virus that is integrated into host cells like CD4 cells. There are estimates that in the absence of HIV treatment, there is approximately 10(9)-10(10) viral particles in blood and all extracellular fluids at any one time. One CD4 is estimated to make 10(3) - 10(4) particles during its life span, but of course there are billions of these cells in the body. HIV treatment today is very good at shutting down viral production to almost zero, but is not very good at killing the already infected cells that have HIV integrated into the host cell genome. Some of these infected cells can circulate for years. Thus, HIV treatment can pretty much stop ongoing production of free viral particles and prevent the infection of CD4 cells, but it takes years for the body's immune system to get rid of these long lived cells that contain the integrated viral form. Hence the 70 year estimate.

Labs results of Hepatitis B antigens
What does absolute CD4, Log Conversion and Viral load mean?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint