Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question about labs please:
Sep 14, 2013

I just got my lab report by phone but the lady said she had never seen it before and the drs were out. This is what she said via telephone. RNA det. on log of 10 value=1.7 and Rna per millimeter is 47. Only was diagnosed on June 6th by the way with viral load of 10,600 and Cd4 of 700. My Cd4 had dropped while on atripla it was 705 and now it is 566. She said I would have to wait until Monday since the dr.s were out and it is only Thursday.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The viral load result of 47 copies/mL is the same thing as 1.7 log10 copies/mL. They are just different mathematical expressions of the same thing. You have had an excellent response to Atripla thus far. I am not that concerned about the CD4 decrease. Another number to follow is the CD4 percent, which is a more stable number over time. The CD4 count can vary by time of day, stress, other ongoing medical conditions, among other reasons.

Previous
Titer 1:1
Next
My VL is 53000, partner's is 1880, who has had it longer?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.