Follow up question to Dr. Holodniy in response to his answer

Hello Dr. Holodniy, this is in response to your answer to my question below. My question now is as to what could be done next in terms of diagnosis and treatment? The treatment has not been started from our end, and is yet to start by Tuesday, 8/27/13. But just to be sure of the approach, I'd like to know as to what could be done next. HIV Test Aug 25, 2013

What does a CD4 count of 140, in a normal range of 330-1100 mean? How can I calibrate it to a normal range of 550-1500? Also, a cd4 as a percent of cd3 if it is 18 then what does it mean? Lastly, a cd4/cd8 ratio of 0.24 means what?

Although you don't indicate what your HIV viral load result is or whether you are receiving HIV treatment, that CD4 count as you know is low. It would be difficult to compare that number in the context of the other range. In people with HIV infection, the CD4 count declines and the CD8 count increases in reaction to the infection. That is why the CD4/CD8 ratio is low and in most uninfected people is usually between 1 and 2. CD3+ cells are all t lymphocytes including CD4+ and CD8+ cells. Usually they are evenly split around 50% each. So a CD4% of 18% is low, and goes along with the low ratio and low CD4 count. "

I assume a HIV viral load and resistance test was performed prior to starting HIV treatment. In terms of answering your question about what to do next, HIV treatment is the next most important step.

VIRAL LOAD INCREASE...CD4 THE SAME
New combo