CD4 %

I was hospitalized with the acute hiv infection. I was put on meds right away (cure, hope cure lol), but I had a cd4%of 9% (84k vl, and 290 cd4). Does that mean I have been classified as Aids? I am tremendously health now with a cd4 of 818 and undetectable...never ask about my %. What does the % mean exactly? Thanks!

A CD4 count of < 200 or < 14% is considered an AIDS diagnosis. That said, given this was acute infection, your CD4% of 9% likely was a temporary decline down to that number, as most people with acute infection demonstrate reduction in CD4 count and percent and after the immune system recovers somewhat so does the CD4 count/percent. HIV treatment has brought your count back up into the normal range. I suspect your CD4 count has done the same. In general, the CD4% is a more stable number over time, as the CD4 count can fluctuate because of time of day, stress, after immunizations, because of other ongoing medical conditions, among other things.

prevention of mother to child transmition
Newly diagnosed - seemingly inconsistent CD4 and viral load