Re: How to know if an increase in viral load is a blip or a failure?

Hi, doc.

I have a follow up question. I am also the same person who asked this: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Q231033.html

I forgot to mention that my partner was also under TB medications earlier this year for 6 months. He had fluctuating viral load and CD4 counts during that time. In the previous question, I had mentioned the viral loads of 45 and 600+, but between those he also had other viral load tests. It wasn't really 45 and then 600+ on the next test; there were other values also in between (to be exact, before that 600+ result, his previous was at 140).

He was told my his doctor that TB and HIV meds interact with each other. Could this be the reason for the rise of viral load instead of the expected steady decline?

He has completed his 6-month TB treatment. So maybe this should be less complicated now and it is more likely that we can expect to see the desired results, which is a steady decline, right?

Drug interactions between HIV and TB meds could certainly result in lower HIV drug levels depending on which HIV meds were being taken along with the TB meds. Thus, if the HIV drug levels are lower, they might not have the maximal effect on viral load and the HIV viral load could increase.

Hiv-2 and Inflammation
Tivicay benefits over other medications?