The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal Cancer or Hemorrhoids?

Aug 18, 2013

I was diagnosed with HIV and HPV, last year. I started treatment immediately. Now, I'm undetectable and have a 600 CD4 count. Recently, I noticed a lump on my anus. I went to the STD clinic, to rule out the possibility of any STDs. Fortunately, my tests came back negative for STDs. However, I was diagnosed with thrombosed external hemorrhoids. I followed my doctor's treatment regimen and within a few weeks the lump disappeared. However, I can feel a hard sort-of bumpy mass inside my anus. I asked my doctor about it and he thinks it may be internal hemorrhoids. I followed his treatment regimen, again, but it won't go away. I'm severely constipated and have trouble "going" even with the help of a laxative. When I finally do go, it's very thin and pencil-like stool, bloody, and covered in mucous. The size of my bowel-movements don't compare with my food intake and I've lost 20 pounds, in the past 2 months. I'm beginning to worry if I may have been misdiagnosed (hemorrhoids) and it may be anal cancer. Do you have any advice?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although most of your symptoms are still consistent with hemorrhoids, may be worth while to see a gastroenterologist for at minimum anoscopy or likely a colonoscopy.

tests to determine when one was infectef
AIDS Diagnosis with Low TCell Count & High Viral Levels

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint