Aug 18, 2013
i tested positive on syphilis today, i was told that my titer is 64, i do not understand what does this mean. At first i was told that my antibodies are positive, but stil hav syphilis. please help i do not understand this.thank you
Response from Dr. Holodniy
The test is likely a quantitative RPR test and the titer result was 1:64. We use the titer as a test to measure treatment response. You don't indicate whether you have been treated or not, but we would expect a 4-fold or greater response to treatment, meaning your titer should drop to < 1:16 as a measure of successful treatment. In many people the titer will stay positive for months to years after successful treatment and does not mean that treatment did not work.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can You Test Negative For Hiv A Year After Exposure?
- Can You Get Hiv From Dry Humping?
- What's The Likelihood Of Somebody Getting Herpes From Protected Sex?
- What Causes A Recurrence Of Genital Warts?
- What Are The Odds Of Contracting Genital Herpes After Sleeping With Someone Who Has It But Not An Outbreak?
- Can You Get Vaginosis From A Latex Condom?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.