Cortisone Injections And HIV

I've had back issues for years. My pain doc has recommended cortisone injections. I'm not on meds for HIV yet. I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews about the injections, from they can cause more issues to reducing immune response to infections. Most every site says you shouldn't have them, if you have a current infection.

I am curious whether HIV is considered a current infection, in that context? Can they reduce my immune response, especially not being on meds? Also, most sites say to make sure you have them done at a reputable surgical center or hospital, to reduce the possibility of some kind of infection from the injections.

Curious whether you are familiar with the safety of these with HIV.

There is no contraindication for receiving steroid injections when someone is HIV positive. Current infection would mean having an additional active infection, particularly in the area where steroids might be injected. The more important question is, whether your "back issue" is the type of condition that would be steroid responsive. And yes, you would want to have this performed at a place that does these all the time and has a very low complication rate.

HCV viral load
what to understand how to calculate cd4 count