Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV levels in Semen
Jul 21, 2013

My last VL count a few weeks ago was 26 so while it didn't come up an undetectable my Dr says that an excellent number and I shouldn't be concerned about not being "undetectable". I have read some information lately about how a very low or undetectable VL doesn't mean that the hiv in semen is low. Is there a test availabel to measure the amount of hiv in semen? I would like to ask my doctor to add this test to my next set of labs. If a test sucj as this is available whot would it be called?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although one can measure HIV viral load in semen, this is a research test. There are no FDA approved HIV viral load tests to measure viral load in semen.

Previous
End stage AIDS life expectancy
Next
CD4 Fluctuations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.